Showing an agent's departmental logo, the flash patch can be found on any agent's uniform—usually on a sleeve, but not necessarily. In fact, since the "uniform" varies so much from agent to agent, the presence of a flash patch is often the only thing at all uniform about it. The appearance of the flash patch varies from department to department.
The patch aids the disguise generator in concealing a field agent from view. This is due to a weak Somebody Else's Problem field that the patch (or perhaps a device sewn into it, or something even more esoteric) generates: the canon ignores the agents, since the badfic is the problem, and the agents are not.
The List Edit
The list is also available here on the wiki so that it can be updated more easily, and for ease of access. The list shows the name of the department, its abbreviation, the Head of Department, and the flash patch emblem. Following the style of heraldry, adjectives and nouns in the emblem descriptions are capitalized. All emblems are on a field of black unless otherwise specified. Any department with a question mark next to its emblem indicates a suggested image which is not yet official.
Action Departments Edit
- All-Purpose Department - APD - The Foxglove Official - A Rubber Swiss Army Knife
- Bad Role-play Department - BRD - The Daffodil - A Black Swift
- Bad Quizzes Division - DBQ - The Really Big Monkey Puzzle Tree - A Pencil-in-the-Eye
- Department of Angst - DOA - The Aloe Vera - A Pink Balloon-animal Poodle
- Department of Bad Parody - DBP - Admiral Pansy - A Headless Rubber Chicken
- Troll Division - TD - Admiral Pansy - The DBP Rubber Chicken surmounted by "T-D" in Bright Red
- Department of Bad Slash - DBS - The Queen Anne's Lace - A Three-Eyed Rubber Duck
- Department of Character Protective Services - DCPS - The Asphodel - A Golden Shield
- Department of Floaters - DF - The Floating Hyacinth - A Waterlily
- Division of Cool and Unusual Punishment - DCUP - The Sadistic Bladderwrack - A Bladderwrack Frond
- Eclectic Subdivision of Advanced Species - ESAS - The Strangler Fig - A Star above a Waterlily
- Special Interdepartmental Elven Languages Unit - SIELU - The Poison Ivy - Sindarin Text for Wisdom
- Special Operations Division - SOD - The Bonsai Monkey Puzzle Tree - The DF Patch surmounted by a Fancy Ampersand in Dark Red
- Department of Geographical Aberrations - DOGA - The Bonsai Mallorn - A Stylised Flame
- Department of Implausible Crossovers - DIC - The Lichen - A Flying Pig
- Department of Improbable AUs - DIAU - The Antigravity Apple - A Rubin Vase
- Department of Improbabilities - DI - The Reannual - A Dead Parakeet on its Back
- Department of Mary Sues - DMS - The Sunflower Official - A Potted Cactus
- Department of Misplaced Flora and Fauna - DMFF - The Waterlily Commander - An Urple Sheep
- Department of Out of Character Hobbits - DOOCH - The Authoritative Elanor - ???
- Department of Plagiarism - DP - The Venus Fly Trap - ???
- Department of Redundancy Department - DRD - The Coriander - A White Staff bearing the Note E
- Department of Technical Errors - DTE - The Uncommon Comma - A Red Pen
- Department of Temporal Offenses - DTO - The Toffee Tree - A Battered Alarm Clock with the Springs sticking out
- Historical Inaccuracies Division - HID - The Strawflower - ???
- Timeline Distortions Division - DTD - ??? - ???
- Department of WhatThe - DW - The Snowthorn - A Stylised Mountain with Red Peak
- Despatch - DD - The Hydrangea - A Lightning Bolt
- Disturbing Acts of Violence Department - DAVD - The Big Thorn - ???
- Repetitive Department of Repetition - RDR - The Cilantro - A White Staff bearing the Note F-flat
Infrastructure Departments Edit
- Department of Dead Author Electricity Generation - DoDAEG - The Slaver Sunflower - On Silver, an Inverted Tombstone
- Department of Fictional Psychology - FicPsych - The Kudzu Vine - On White, Five Exclamation Marks
- Department of Finance - DoF - The Clover - An Evermind Flower
- Department of Intelligence - DoI - The Sub Rosa - A Purple Sage Frond
- Department of Mary Sue Experiments and Research - DMSE&R - The Thistle - A Test Tube holding a Smoking Green Liquid
- Department of Operations - DO - The Nightshade - A Quail
- Building Maintenance - BM - ??? - The Operations Quail surmounted by a Claw Hammer with a Red Handle
- Cafeteria Division - CAF - ??? - Favolaschia calocera
- Department of Personnel - DoP - The Marquis de Sod - A Flaming Stick Figure wearing a Bowler Hat
- Department of Sufficiently Advanced Technology - DoSAT - Hornbeam the Ironwood - A Smoking Swivel Chair
- Legal Department - LD - The Fern - The Legal Chao
- Arbitrary Censorship Division - LD(c) - ???
- Canon Laws Division - LD(l) - ???
- Cosmic Irony Division - LD(i) - ???
- Physics Division - LD(p) - ???
- Trans-Normal Accountancy Division - LD(a) - ???
- Medical Department - MD - Doctor Fitzgerald - A Green Armband
- Postal Department - PD - Otik Horak - A Smoking Parcel
Security Departments Edit
- Department of External Security - DES - Captain Dandy - An Ivy-Coated White Fence
- Department of Internal Affairs - DIA - The Tiger Lily - None
Defunct Departments Edit
- Department for Elf Protection - DEP - Audrey the Ninth - An Alfirin Flower
- Department of Author Correspondence - DAC - The Saffron Crocus - An Elm Tree
- Department of Emergencies - DE - The Firethorn - A Red Bell
- Department of Internal Security - DIS - The Bracket Fungus - On a Silver Sash, a Crouching Black Cat (also a shoulder badge)
- Department of Internal Operations - DIO - The Elm - A Cactus, being Stabbed by a Knife